Mount Woodside...Firearm Restricted Area

Wide open primary club forum. All users can read messages, but only registered forum users can post.
the other martin

Mount Woodside...Firearm Restricted Area

Postby the other martin » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:10 pm

As the flying season starts we are going to have continual issues with people shooting long rifles on Mount Woodside. There is a small sign posted on the right side of the road as you head up the mountain. It is small and I am sure most people haven't noticed it or will claim ignorance stating they weren't aware of the prohibition.

If you see or hear gunfire phone the Agassiz RCMP. There phone number is 604 796 2211. Enter that number into your contacts. Most pilots have a cell phone. The RCMP Detachment is small and chances of getting a member first ring is small. They are usually on patrol. Listen to the recorded message. It will give you a prompt for a non-emergency complaint. The person you will be talking to will be a complaint taker and not a police officer. They are most likely based in Surrey so don't assume they know where you are, who you are, and the lay out of Mount Woodside. They fill in a computer screen. They will ask for an address. Tell them Woodside Inn is the closest physical location with an address. They will want your name and phone number. Provide the info. You may be required to provide further information in locating the shooters. Tell them the km location on the road closest to where the shooting is going on. If you can provide a description of the vehicle and how many shooters that would be valuable information. Inform them there are pilots in the air and within sight of the shooters. Careless use of a firearm is serious and you can stress that with the complaint taker.

I have phoned at least five times and they have attended. Be polite and professional. You will get better results.

Don't leave it up to someone else to make the call.

I have emailed the District of Kent and will pursue them putting up a large sign in an obvious location so that all motorists heading up the mountain will see the sign.

By our being persistent we will succeed in making the mountain safe for all users.

jaybird

Re: Mount Woodside...Firearm Restricted Area

Postby jaybird » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:28 pm

Can we put up pir own sign to raise awareness to the shooters ? Probably have to make it from steel.....

silentflight

Postby silentflight » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:47 pm

Build it out of steel so they can push it over with their camouflage Ford F 350 4X4 ! :D

the other martin

Postby the other martin » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:08 pm

Putting up our own sign is the last option. Signs are costly. If we do put one up we will pre-shoot it, burn it, and spray some graffiti on it prior to the first installation then knock it down with a yellow Bronco prior to the second installation.

Actually I have emailed the District of Kent advising them their present sign is too small and in the wrong location. Not sure how they will respond to my suggestion but they did receive my email. Stay tuned. I will also suggest that a large visible sign would deter shooters thus saving the RCMP a lot of work attending to the careless use of firearm complaints.

Thanks.

the other martin

Postby the other martin » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:39 pm

I met with the representative from the District of Kent and we walked the road starting up Mount Woodside. He is having a 3' by 4' sign made up. It will be posted in either of two locations. It will be visible to all people driving up Mount Woodside. In the wording of the sign there will be mention of Mount Woodside being a prohibited area. The sign should be up within 3 weeks. Stay tuned.