Should I Stay or should I Leave?....

Wide open primary club forum. All users can read messages, but only registered forum users can post.

Should I Stay?... Or.... Should I Leave?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:22 am

Stay in the HPAC/ACVL
73%
Leave the HPAC/ACVL
27%

Total votes: 11

tnankie
Former Director
Former Director

Re: Should I Stay or should I Leave?....

Post by tnankie »

there is also this thing called inflation, I'm sure even you Canadians have heard of it. Just wondering how much of the increase in annual dues could be accounted for there.

(~2.4 fold increase at 3% per year for 30 years, dunno what the Canadian inflation rate has been over that time period though.)
Actually I looked it up, stat Canada think it is only 1.8 fold increase over 30 years.
Tom Dupree
:pg Advance Iota (Purple, white and lime green)

my user name @ gmail . com
Martin
Former Director
Former Director

Post by Martin »

tnankie wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:17 pm there is also this thing called inflation
True, without "inflation" .... taking off in a paraglider could not happen.

M
Tyler G
Former Director
Former Director

Post by Tyler G »

I think the most telling feature of this years HPAC's budget that demonstrates how your association the HPAC has budgeted $54,270 for administrative costs and has allocated $2500 for safety.
As a serial entrepreneur, having grown and sold multiple businesses in my short life. The one thing that is the same in every organization is that your biggest expense is always people. I wouldn't want you to see my payroll. I used to complain about this too, then a wise mentor set me straight and made me realize that your people are also your biggest asset.

Can you be clear about what you want Martin? Then be prepared for me to ask you to present possible solutions. So far none of the arguments presented hold water. Motte and bailey.

You would like to not have an ED anymore?
You would like to have a part-time ED?
It has nothing to do with the ED?

What is the real issue so we can begin to address it and start solving for it. If we can't manage that I will assume this is nothing more than trolling and this discussion will get moderated.

Sincerely,
Tyler
Martin
Former Director
Former Director

Post by Martin »

Tyler,

Since your a big time entrepreneur, You should appreciate the business risks associated with becoming reliant on a single employee to represent your interests. One day you stop by to have a look and see how things are going and everything is gone.... a little "bit coin" biz comes to mind.

What do I want? Well.....

If I was a member of the HPAC ( and given the current membership fee $175) I would like to see some sort of community communication. Timely and relevant using what ever platform that is open and accessible... a little like this forum and the WCSC web page or a E-news letter that promotes the community (and not the latest SOP's and other bureaucratic alphabet soup acronyms). Give the community a platform where they can contribute content.

How about spending a few more coins on safety and education? (and a little less on face to face agm's and travel?). When we have a big contest or gathering, how hard can it be to bring in a guest instructor or speaker?

Lets reverse this trend of being completely dependent on a full time "office" and business manager, bring the "staffing" costs inline to something that more accurately reflects our small community.

Good or bad, lets let the membership run the show. Just like in the "good old days" when volunteers would enthusiastically screw things up! I know, crazy talk, imagine being responsible for are own future?

Way before your time but the old volunteers were not completely incompetent, they did manage little things like access to airspace, HAGAR, Ratings, Insurance, Instruction, News Letters, AGM's and other national stuff.....

The problem the HPAC has now is this complete dependence on a singular employee . With it comes uncontrolled growth and costs. If you think this is ok, then its a problem that you don't see the risk. If you can accept this is a valid concern, I suspect the next problem is going to be this trend of the past several years to pay someone else to take care of the issues, so we hire more people and we will build a bigger machine. It's the new age concept of looking after your children, hire a good nanny. The trouble is, the nanny could care less how the kids turn out...

As to me being a "Troll"....
What is the real issue so we can begin to address it and start solving for it. If we can't manage that I will assume this is nothing more than trolling and this discussion will get moderated.
More than a few HPAC individuals have approached me indicating that they appreciate me continuing to keep this issue alive. Frankly I wish some of them would beat their own drum but I am also aware that some (instructors for example) can't voice valid concerns because it could have a negative effect on there relationship within the HPAC.

So... go ahead and moderate this post if you think I'm just trolling. As a past executive and as a past member of the HPAC I believe I have earned the right to debate the future of my old association (on the forum of a club that I continue to be a member of....).

Martin
tnankie
Former Director
Former Director

Post by tnankie »

not sure but I thought membership in WCSC was conditional on HPAC membership...
Tom Dupree
:pg Advance Iota (Purple, white and lime green)

my user name @ gmail . com
Martin
Former Director
Former Director

Post by Martin »

Tom, can you get me a refund? I sure would not want to be a member of a club that would have somebody like me as a member.

Troublemakers and reprobates, the WCSC should not be offering shelter for such of the likes of me....

Cheers

Martin

(Btw... Everybody can chill for a bit.... I'm off to Trumps America for 3 weeks... With my Ushpa insurance... And oh look! Just got my E-newsletter with a bunch of exciting drivel/news to enjoy during my vacation)
Amir

Post by Amir »

I'm really not sure what more you're wanting from HPAC Martin.
I agree that a new website is long overdue.
However, the primary reason to have HPAC is to protect the landowners.
No other insurer (USHPA, personal liability etc.) will cover our land owners.
If you care about our landowners and their livelihood, then it's a no brainer to have HPAC insurance.

Amir
www.bluethermal.com
An optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds. A pessimist fears that is true.
Suntan

Post by Suntan »

What was Criminal IMO was the expenditures on Jasper. The Senior Instructor meetings, Sending our Ed to the Ushpa meeting. And of course the Website. I remember when this was happening Martin had posted the price tag and referenced the information. If you have access to the financial statements look it up Tyler. I did read it and it is there.
In response to the question. Should our ED be available 5 days per week. I believe no. The example given was "Should a visiting pilot have to wait 3 days for a response of how to get insurance? Well yes. Try to just show up in the USA and most countries without doing your homework and getting everything in place. The other question is. Do we need a MMS? Do we need automatic emails that instructors FA is expired? How easy would it be to send a canned email every month to the people who's insurance expires? And frankly I don't think you realize how hard a nurse works in comparison to someone running a 1000 member organization. I just don't believe the job needs to be as involved as our administration has made it.