Quietly behind the scenes....

Wide open primary club forum. All users can read messages, but only registered forum users can post.
Martin
Former Director
Former Director

Quietly behind the scenes....

Post by Martin »

Wanted to say thanks to the various people in the local flying community that have being doing the stuff behind the scenes that make flying better for all!

Saw one of the local money grubbing commercial "capitalistic" paragliding schools just had a major operation improving the launch carpet at Woodside... well some just grumbled about how the old cover was becoming a bit of a launch hazard.... others just got the job done! (Wonder if the ATOS setup spot got some new covering?)

http://www.flybc.org/siteoftheday.htm

Also noticed that the Hang Glider LZ at Woodside got a new wind sock (Blatantly advertising Paragliding!)... its so bright and big even grumpy old half blind hang pilots won't be able to mess up the wind direction. Along with the new sock, somebody has repaired the treads on the walk over replacing the suspect steps with brand new painted wood... sturdy enough to carry out my heavy rigid wing!

Speaking of Wind socks... particularly enjoyed the dark sarcasm of the "Black Windsock of Death" mounted over at the Bridal LZ!

There has also been the seasonal repack efforts of several of our club directors! Really enjoy the fact the process is being promoted over various locations. Nice work to all involved.

Of course, a special thanks goes out to Pedro for "Energizer Bunny" efforts to keep the "Last Friday of the month" meetings going (even if its just an excuse to eat and drink beer!).

Plenty of stuff happens in the club that is spontaneous (usually inspired by bored pilots itching to fly but crushed by bad weather?). This note is just to say thanks to all those pilots behind the scene that just "do it".

Cheers

Comrade Martin
AlexR
Former Director
Former Director

Re: Quietly behind the scenes....

Post by AlexR »

Absolutely well done folks with all the get'ter done.
Martin was almost moved to tears.
A
flybc
Former Director
Former Director

Post by flybc »

It was Derek Kovacic, acting Site Director, that organized the troops and equipment for the Woodside carpet renewal project.

All FlyBC did was go into Delta to purchase and transport the carpet to Launch,

All other labour was voluntary and the job was completed in 3 hours and it looks gorgeous.

Some F*ckwits pulled three big boulders into the parking lot so they could drive their 4x4 onto the new carpet for Snapchat pics (I assume).

Carpet was not damaged but we are pretty upset, maybe a gate is needed like at Benny?

Derek and I are going up to restore the boulders today.
Jim Reich
Professional Paragliding Instructor

www.flybc.org
www.flybc.org/used.htm Demo Gear
www.flybc.org/training.htm Training Facilities
www.flybc.org/siteoftheday.htm Whazzup in the Valley
flybc
Former Director
Former Director

Post by flybc »

Rocks are back in place thanks to Derek, Andrei and myself.

Also some help from a 12000 lb winch and some fancy rigging.

check out www.flybc.org/siteoftheday.htm or

Jim Reich
Professional Paragliding Instructor

www.flybc.org
www.flybc.org/used.htm Demo Gear
www.flybc.org/training.htm Training Facilities
www.flybc.org/siteoftheday.htm Whazzup in the Valley
James604
Former Director
Former Director

Post by James604 »

Thanks for the updates! That's some serious work getting those boulders back into place, nice work gents :!:
James Elliott
Martin
Former Director
Former Director

Post by Martin »

Thanks to the crew that did the brush cutting down the front of Woodside! It's been awhile since I have ventured out to fly "Mother Woodside", figured there would be the usual late season growth on the front of the hill but .... "nope"! Well groomed and looking great.

Practically no reason for me to have brought along my feeble set of pruners. Thanks to who and all that did the work.... again, "Quietly behind the scenes".

Martin

PS, unfortunately.... still had to clean up another boy scout camp fire up on top, just behind our ground cover (so fortunately no damage to the tarping). Oh well, at least they stayed off the launch area.