FORUM UPDATE

Wide open primary club forum. All users can read messages, but only registered forum users can post.
pep
Club Director
Club Director

FORUM UPDATE

Post by pep »

ATTENTION, the forum will be offline for a few hours for maintenance.
Pedro Pedersen ( :hg )
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,
for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.”
Leonardo da Vinci
pep
Club Director
Club Director

Re: FORUM UPDATE

Post by pep »

ok... the latest forum is active... please let us know if something is not working....
Also... any images (royalty free and PG/HG theme related :pg :hg ) we could use for the site will be appreciated.

Pedro
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,
Leonardo da Vinci
GrumpySmurf

Post by GrumpySmurf »

Comments:

Like the new theme and feel, much cleaner.

On mobile device, have to click explicitly on the forum name to enter - as opposed to clicking anywhere on the list entry.

When viewing Member List by letter, the entries are still sorted by join date, rather than sorted alphabetically.

User Control Panel, cannot un-join groups -> tried to un-join BoD subforum (no longer involved with BoD) - says action is not permitted.
The FlyinOrange: Blog Videos Facebook Google+
flyRobinfly
Former Director
Former Director

Post by flyRobinfly »

Looks great, guys! Nice to see the 3.x update in place.

Keep an eye on your folder permissions, and your Admin users. I had another phpBB3 forum I run get hacked recently. You should have no folders at 777, only a couple specific ones (you know the list) at 755, and the rest at 644.

Cheers!

Robin
raquo
Club Director
Club Director

Post by raquo »

This looks sharp :D Thanks, Pedro!

Oh and icons, nice touch! :hg :pg
Nikita
Ihor

Post by Ihor »

"Hide Online Status" doesn't seem to be working.
SLOWn60

Post by SLOWn60 »

Ihor wrote:"Hide Online Status" doesn't seem to be working.
It's not needed. No one is ever seems to be on here! :|
pep
Club Director
Club Director

Post by pep »

Ihor wrote:"Hide Online Status" doesn't seem to be working.
I tested this and it does work, just make sure when you change the setting in your user control profile, you log out from the forum and close all the browsers... there is some cash setting that gets clear only if you terminate all the browsers you may have open.

Note the message beside the function in the user control panel: ..."Changing this setting won’t become effective until your next visit to the board."

:hg
Leonardo da Vinci
Ihor

Post by Ihor »

I did all that and still I'm there. Originally I never changed my status from the old forum, but noticed that I'm now listed as active on the bottom of the page. I checked on the user control panel and I'm still checked as hidden. I cleared my browser cookies etc. - no change.
Fred Wilson

Post by Fred Wilson »

1. I get a lot of PMs. I went in today to trash what I could.
I got down to 16 "stock" responses left combined in all folders. (Answers to the most common questions, saved for repeated use.)
But the PM bot is telling me I have 50 Private Messages Left.

I do not see a Trash folder the deleted PMs may have gone into. Any other Rogues seeing this?

2. Tried playing with entering website urls. (http://www.flyok.ca was accepted.)

The field “Facebook” has invalid characters.
The field “YouTube” has invalid characters.
The field “Google+” has invalid characters, only alphanumeric or _ characters are allowed.

I ONLY joined Twitter to check it when OSA was arguing whether to go to Twitter, Facebook or Line for live daily ONLY posts about flying activities.
I have turned ALL Notifications OFF of Twitter - you will never ever reach me there.
I "live" on Facebook. Thassa way, 4 Sure.
Tnx! FriedEd.
Last edited by Fred Wilson on Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Amir

Post by Amir »

I know updates to the back end are needed now and then, but why the new look? What was wrong with the old forum?
As HG are an integral part of our community, having no pic of an HG on the main banner is seems like a disrespectful omission.

Amir
www.bluethermal.com
An optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds. A pessimist fears that is true.
pep
Club Director
Club Director

Post by pep »

Fred Wilson wrote:1. I get a lot of PMs. I went in today to trash what I could.
I got down to 16 "stock" responses left combined in all folders. (Answers to the most common questions, saved for repeated use.)
But the PM bot is telling me I have 50 Private Messages Left.
The message reads, (in my case): Folder is 40% full (20 out of 50 messages stored)
I think this implies that you can have a maximum of 50 messages... (By the way this 50 number can be changed by the administrator if needed)

Fred Wilson wrote: I do not see a Trash folder the deleted PMs may have gone into. Any other Rogues seeing this?
I don't see in this version of phpBB any settings to allow a trash folder.

Fred Wilson wrote: 2. Tried playing with entering website urls. (http://www.flyok.ca was accepted.)
The field “Google+” has invalid characters, only alphanumeric or _ characters are allowed.
Here you need to enter just the ID code that identify your accounts in these different sites only, for example, loop at my profile, I set them there and they all work
Leonardo da Vinci
admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by admin »

Amir wrote:I know updates to the back end are needed now and then, but why the new look? What was wrong with the old forum?
As HG are an integral part of our community, having no pic of an HG on the main banner is seems like a disrespectful omission.

Amir
The new "look" is driven by the latest phpBB forum software, (we could not keep using the old software for security reasons) and if you note, this new template used is also "Responsive", meaning you can even use it in a small screen on a mobile.

If you are referring at the banner used on the top of the site, there is no particular reason why we used that image other than it is a nice image, it was taken from one of the images submitted to the "Flight Log", this image will be rotting over time, we will have also one with a HG...
:hg Pedro Pedersen (as webmaster)
soaringman

Post by soaringman »

Thanks for the time spent putting this together and dealing with the integration
Fred Wilson

Post by Fred Wilson »

Fred Wilson wrote: I tried playing with entering website urls. (http://www.flyok.ca was accepted.)
The field “Twitter” has invalid characters.
Here you need to enter just the ID code that identify your accounts in these different sites only, for example, loop at my profile, I set them there and they all work[/quote]

Ok Pedro. Inserted them all, but can not test. (PS. I've Never ever use Twitter.)
Could you test them for us?

Google = is to my Picasa Web Albums. No idea how to force a proper Google = url.