Time for a NEW challenge?.....

Wide open primary club forum. All users can read messages, but only registered forum users can post.
Martin
Former Director
Former Director

Time for a NEW challenge?.....

Post by Martin »

Now that everybody and their dogs are completing the "Raymont Challenge" (the Woodside, Ludwig, Elk and Back to Woodside), perhaps its time to establish a new and more challenging ....challenge?

Well the Hammer's back woods adventures are admirable and bold they are not the type of challenge I think would encourage safety.

I would like to suggest a very simple challenge (that, also includes risk but within reason):

-Woodside ( takeoff )
- Hope ( north/south line created by the gas line crossing at the airport)
- Return to Woodside Launch.

Your Hope turn point would actually be a "infinite" line created by the north/south gas line crossing of the river. You can cross the line anywhere you want. Course and tactic entirely up to you. (BTW, this is a PG challenge only).

If there is some interest, I will buck up a case of Becks Beer to the first pilot to top land upon completion of the task. I will throw in a bottle of my favourite Scotch if that same pilot drives my truck down (of course my truck will have to be there!)

Is there any interest in the challenge? Or are you all just a bunch of sissy's clinging to your Raymont challenge?

Cheers

Comrade Martin
flybc
Former Director
Former Director

my 2 cents

Post by flybc »

Last time I made it to Hope with Peter Graf in tow, I was glad to be able to land safely as the winds picked up past 50 kph in the Hope Airport.

But it is probably do-able on a calm day.

Also, much safer bailouts along Hwy 7.

Jim
Martin
Former Director
Former Director

Post by Martin »

Jim,

Your right. Hope can be a very windy place. No wind days are rare but there may be a way to get in and out of Hope without dealing with the strong valley compression. Staying high can keep you out of the wind, the turnpoint "line" allows you some tactics that could prove very useful. Airspace allows for some breathing room (no low 6500 foot ceiling).

Word of caution tho... all XC can be risky. One of the risks we have right now is the very high level of the Fraser River and the loss of all of the sand/gravel bars.

Martin
AlexR
Former Director
Former Director

Hope OR

Post by AlexR »

I like it Martin. Thought about it a few times. We have had some days this spring with light valley winds and high bases when it was probably doable. Often looked at Dog Mountain, above Hope on the north side of the Fraser, and thought that looks good.

I have landed a half dozen times at the Hope airport and it has usually been strong but ok. I've had stronger and rougher landings in front of Woodside.
I wouldn't go any farther downwind though, smaller fields.

Watch out for glider towing with the associated lines behind the tow plane. I usually land on the N side upwind of the buildings.

Its probably safest in early spring, sandbars and less valley wind.

Mostly we need some flyable weather!

Alex
Ihor

Post by Ihor »

That bowl below Dog is where most of the sailplane tows are to in an inflow wind. Very reliable lift area. Watch for traffic.
Martin
Former Director
Former Director

Post by Martin »

Got a call this evening from Alex, seem he wants to cash in on my Fraser Valley XC challenge.

Well I'm waiting for Alex to upload his flight it sounds like he is claiming the "Henry Challenge". (Woodside/Hope/Woodside OR)

Ok Alex, I checked the rules and don't know if you top landed or not but it does look like I owe you a case of beer!... The Scotch offer was if you top landed and drove my truck down. (Thanks Jim for the ride up!... my rig was comfortably sitting at the barn at FlyBC. )

Good job Alex... I was so freak'n cold just hanging around Woodside I was amazed you could hang in there.

Cheers

Comrade Martin

PS.... so we have to come up with something bigger?
AlexR
Former Director
Former Director

Post by AlexR »

Ah the fineprint!
Overflew launch but no top landing. And your moving goalpost of needing to drive your car down is very wiley. I think your Scotch will stay "safe" in your hands for awhile.

Guess i get nothing. A glass of ice tea at the Sasquatch maybe : )

Fun flight. Got stuck in shade in shade at Aggassiz mountain on the return leg. Cloud decayed finally, got a climb and then snuck through saddle to north side of Woody. Luckily my guess that it was working there was correct. With the water low I did have the Chehalis band fields on glide but sink and it could have been awkward.

Love the low water levels and light winds of spring, so much of this flight will be a no go later in the year.

Fred, Nic and Al's line Harrison knob and then out west over the river also looked very cool.
Alex