Bridal Falls/Archibald Gondola Proposal

Wide open primary club forum. All users can read messages, but only registered forum users can post.
Claudia
Former Director
Former Director

Bridal Falls/Archibald Gondola Proposal

Postby Claudia » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:38 pm

An Archibald/Bridal gondola idea has been proposed before and then abandoned but just a heads up that there is a new proposal. Comment period for it ends on October 5, 2018.

The map doesn't show our tenures for Bridal and Upper Bridal launches and I'm guessing the proponents are not aware of our existing CYA airspace. Gondola cables could be a bit of an obstruction. Also not sure what they want with the huge area from Upper Launch - Cheam - Mercer - Elk, can't see that happen. But maybe we can get them to build us a nice launch on Archibald ;-)?

https://arfd.gov.bc.ca/ApplicationPosti ... stID=55831

kault

Re: Bridal Falls/Archibald Gondola Proposal

Postby kault » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:25 pm

I received a phone call from one of the developers of the new proposal today and he and I chatted for 5 to 10 minutes while I was on the road. To summarize, this project is very much about resurrecting the original bridal or codeine launch and paragliding is a key focus of the development, not surprisingly, as the person I spoke to is a paraglider pilot and has been looking all over BC and even in the Yukon for a place to develop a European style paragliding launch. There is much work and And due diligence to be done but they are hoping to consult heavily with paraglider pilots as well as mountain bikers, hikers, and skiers as they develop their plan for the chipmunk recreational area for which they are applying for a tenure on.
And yes this individual’s credentials are impeccable as he is one of the developers of the sea to sky gondola which has received very good reviews generally. They had hoped to make that a paragliding focussed area but as everyone knows it’s just simply too windy in Squamish. He knows that bridal is an well-established paragliding site and hence the idea of putting a gondola up. I’m sure that in the days to come they will be reaching out to the HPAC, our BCHPA and the West Coast soaring club as they move forward.

BillB

Postby BillB » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:15 pm

I wonder if us hang glider pilots will be able to benefit from the gondola as well . It would be nice to return Bridal to its former glory as a great site for all pilots, not just the paragliders.

wazungy

Postby wazungy » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:10 am

Interesting.

Someone mentioned a while back that the road to upper launch seemed to be "open" again.
Related?

I also want to ask,...
Will a proper LZ be in the works as well?
This would be a necessity if they plan to use the site to include PG and HG usage.

pecofly

Postby pecofly » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:36 pm

That would be very exciting to actually have a Gondola up there.
PeterR