HPAC Finances $176,000...

Wide open primary club forum. All users can read messages, but only registered forum users can post.
Martin
Former Director
Former Director

HPAC Finances $176,000...

Postby Martin » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:20 am

(Posted over on the HPAC/ACVL Yahoo Forum... as a favor could somebody copy and past over on the HPAC/ACVL F-Book page.... ? Tks)

In “my” ongoing effort to try and get members to reflect on the finances and operation of our HPAC/ACVL I would like to present some basic HPAC/ACVL financial numbers …..

The HPAC/ACVL is closing in on 1100 members for the 2018-2019 budget. Each member will pay $160.00 for a full membership (provincial memberships not included). This means, for the 2018-2019 budget the HPAC/ACVL will take in $176,000 in gross revenue from the membership.

There are some basic financial obligations (expenses) that come right off the top of this revenue. These expenses are more or less fixed and represent “core obligations” (tho admittedly some may not agree that these core numbers are reasonable but….). For simplicity, I will round these expenses out and base them on the 2017-2018 published budget:

- $40,000 Insurance
- $45,000 Current Executive Director compensation (includes operational costs)
- $13,000 Annual Directors meeting (over $17,000 in previous years)
- $7,000 Aero Club of Canada

Core obligations = $105,000 ( or $95 per member)

The remaining portion of the budget ($71,000, or $64 per member) is forecast to be consumed by legal, translation, competitions, Safety and the never ending Web site saga. The 2017-2018 budget forecasts a profit (this “profit” will only put a very small dent in the losses of the previous years and worthy of note is last years massive increase in dues that helped balance this years dues).

I would like the members to reflect on the basic numbers, I would like the membership to consider what they expect or want from their national association.

Perhaps what we have here meets expectations?

Perhaps nobody cares or even wants to know where their membership dues are going?

Maybe… we just want to go flying? Perhaps that’s our biggest issue… we simply don’t care enough and we get the administration or association we deserve?

In my opinion, I feel the HPAC/ACVL is overreaching its membership wishes and is trying to be something that most of the members do not support. I would hope that the membership would at least take the time to consider how much of your dues are simply consumed and would support some form reasonable financial accountability.

I have posted elsewhere that without accountability the HPAC/ACVL is more then able to consume what ever we give “it”. Personally, I’m asking the directorship to get our budget back under control and dramatically reduce our expenses and ultimately reduce our membership fees. An organization this small (IMO) should not be this expensive to maintain, especially given the meager services we receive in return.

Please consider your membership dues and start asking the hard questions as to what you expect from “your” national association.

Also…..

Remember, the people that step up and act as directors for your association deserve respect for taking on these thankless volunteer positions. They do not need to berated or chastised for not acting in “your” interests if you have not bothered to communicate your wishes. Many times they work without any input from “you” the members because “you” do not communicate…

Thanks

Martin Henry
HPAC/ACVL #02
(Past HPAC/ACVL President)

Suntan

Re: HPAC Finances $176,000...

Postby Suntan » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:55 pm

I fully agree. The Kite surfing society in Squamish has more members.... The hemorrhaging of funds has not been solved. Something needs to change! We have an awesome board right now. Let's not lose them all!