Spring Repack Clinic

Wide open primary club forum. All users can read messages, but only registered forum users can post.
jessonml
Former Director
Former Director

Re: Spring Repack Clinic

Postby jessonml » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:16 pm

Tyler,

I appreciate the apology. Though I did think you were being a dick, I did not take it personally. I figured it must be coming from some degree of frustration as I do understand many of the challenges every board member faces as our volunteers.

I look forward to getting together with some members soon and learning a thing or two.

Thank you,

Matt

Martin
Former Director
Former Director

Postby Martin » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:03 am

Thought I would make a comment on the efforts to pull together this years "Repack Clinic".

At first glance, the idea of reducing the demand on "Chute packers" by teaching owners to pack their own reserves sounded like a great idea. It does have one fatal flaw.....

Within the club I do not know of a single qualified rigger.... which is not surprising, given the fact that I don't think such an endorsement exists. Truth is, at best, a pilot attending a clinic would have had your chute was packed by a experienced pilot who worked with a self taught knowledge, perhaps supported by manufactures manuals and if you were lucky this pilot may have had guidance from the manufacture on a given design... that's it.

When I was asked to contribute this year I had two issues that gave me concerns. First, I took the time to think about the request to teach others how to pack a reserve. I think the act of teaching crossed my own personal liability threshold, this issue on its own was enough to make me decline participation. BTW, I know any lawyer would cringe at what I'm about to say but, In the past... I did not worry as much about liability... typically I would tell the owner of a reserve that: "I drink, I'm not qualified, you really should learn to pack your own stuff and It's likely that the pack is going to fail..... have a nice day!" (For the record... I have multiple saves contributed to chutes that I packed but I also have this infamous example of bad day at the office.... https://vimeo.com/24926968 .... which brings me to a old time waiver that I like to quote: "This product, can, may and will fail under any and or all circumstances. User assumes ALL RISKS"... the waiver was sewn into the deployment bag of a popular chute from way back in the day....).

The second issue was timing and the time commitment (a whole day in a gym stuffing slippery rip-stop into aging gear). From a purely selfish position, I was willing to give up a day as a volunteer in the dead of winter but as spring approached I had my own personal list of "things to do" that go with every season and eventually I simply ran out of time that I was willing to give to the club.

I can't speak for others but I'm pretty sure many of the "old faithful" that offered up their time in past clinics may have found that some of my reasons above may have been reason enough not to participate.

Perhaps the other issue that has finally come about is the reliance on the same old "crew". Pretty much a problem for all volunteer organizations so I doubt this problem will ever go away but it looks this year it has become a perfect storm.

Hopefully there will be some success in this years efforts to teach but I'm thinking we may simply have to go back to the giant early season chute packing clinics that we have had in the past. One day in a gym, sometime in January with a bunch of incompetent alcoholics doing the deed (as long as it does not interfere with my AA meetings I could be inclined to attend). Might be kind of cool if the manufactures could attend with reps to flog their products? .....

For this year, for me, the season is starting, I've packed 5 reserves that are under my roof (including a spiffy new square) and now, I want to go flying!

Cheers

Martin

tnankie
Club Director
Club Director

Postby tnankie » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:19 pm

Really Martin?

What I actually asked the more experienced members of our club was to show the less experienced members was how they (the more experienced members) pack their own personal reserves. Not to teach everyone how to pack their own reserves, its a big difference in my mind but perhaps my communication of this difference was lacking, in which case I apologise.
Tom Dupree
:pg Gin Bolero 4 (Blue, red and white)

my user name @ gmail . com

Martin
Former Director
Former Director

Postby Martin » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:16 am

tnankie wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:19 pm
Really Martin?

What I actually asked the more experienced members of our club was to show the less experienced members was how they (the more experienced members) pack their own personal reserves. Not to teach everyone how to pack their own reserves, its a big difference in my mind but perhaps my communication of this difference was lacking, in which case I apologise.
Yup "really" :wink:

I don't know how you split hairs between show and teach.... but lets stop apologizing, I think you guys had a reasonable approach to making it a valuable change to the clinic process. Unfortunately we need qualified factory reps to do the teaching (showing). Thanks for looking an alternative approach but like I said, January mass chute packing orgy is probably the best way we could have gotten this done...

Back to my AA meeting .....

Martin