Weather stations

Wide open primary club forum. All users can read messages, but only registered forum users can post.

Do you want it on Woodside?

Yes
75%
No
17%
Need more information
8%

Total votes: 12

Martin
Former Director
Former Director

Re: Weather stations

Post by Martin »

Admittedly I kind of enjoyed having the Zack-o-meter online to view some of the data that it could churn out during those spectacular weather events but again "Grumpy Martin" has to ask is it really worth getting the club hooked on what is essentially a disposable electronic devices?

After last nights WCSC AGM there was talk of some volunteers, kitting up multiple locations with some home brew/hobby weather stations. I was less than attentive but I think we were wandering down the road to build one prototype and use it to blueprint multiple locations? Eventually tossing $500- 1000 (each)... yah know it might just add up to some real money?

I guess it's up to the club to decide what it wants to do, but in my books, it's not a quality life improving investment chucking electronic toys up on a poll to gather convenient weather data only to have it turn to electronic waste in a year or two.

I do get the "Nerd" value... I run a fleet of 15-20 Web cams and it is pretty cool what you can do with our connected world. All I ask is when it comes to club money we keep in mind these weather stations will be money tossed.

Maybe some "geek" could self fund and paywall a connected weather station?... then the other geeks in the club could spend the rest of the year hacking the site to sponge some free access?

Cheers

Comrade Martin
Jeremy Séguin

Post by Jeremy Séguin »

I think another parameter was how long would a weather station survive, regardless of quality/durability. Beyond theft, we've seen the sign on launch in Bridal being used as shooting practice, and WS's carpet as donut practice ground and somehow the best place for a campfire (?!?). I personally don't like the idea of semi-disposable equipment, but I'd worry about a $5k like Eugene showed us looking terribly like a target for some inebriated wannabe cowboys.
There probably are much more important considerations of course, in both pros and cons columns.
Chris Buob

Post by Chris Buob »

In my opinion, having a weather station is not just a luxury, but more of a necessity for safe flying, particularly at sites that are beginner-friendly and often visited by novice pilots. For these new pilots, launching and flying solo the first couple of times can be extremely intimidating. In their initial learning phase, they often lack experience in interpreting weather forecasts and assessing current conditions. With no other pilots at launch it's easy to second guess ones own judgement. A weather station can significantly reduce the uncertainties pilots face.

Also, weather stations are a valuable learning resource: they allow us to compare the forecasted conditions with actual weather data. This comparison is important for understanding the local weather patterns and weather forecasts, a key aspect of safe flying. Even on days when flying conditions are obviously poor, I often look at weather stations. This helps gain a better understanding of the local weather patterns, especially when you live further away from a launch site.
Martin
Former Director
Former Director

Post by Martin »

Again, I don't have a "hate-on" for these addictive gadgets, I just don't see them as being essential and especially if you take in the limit resources of the club (pretty much what you expect from a grumpy old man who has spent more than 45 years driving up Woodside to go "flying"?). What I find funny is the idea that without these "Wind-Talker's" we are lost, completely without resources to make our decision on if we fly? Perhaps... rather than dump coin on these electronic toys we could say...perhaps... buck up and help pay for the Canadian RASP?

We all get pretty addicted to live everything in this connected world but I have witnessed plenty of times on What's-Crap the daily posting of angst and turmoil of pilots looking at live data and forecasts convincing themselves the day is a bust only to have a local yokel pull a self gratifying "neener neener" on the crowds that pulled the plug by posting about their epic glass off.

I get the frustration of doing the ridiculous commuter trips to the valley, this journey has become a savage experience. You have to accept weather is always going to be a fickle call and getting you best get comfortable with disappointing weather conditions as it is just part of life in our weather reliant sport.

Martin