2023... Another Season....

Wide open primary club forum. All users can read messages, but only registered forum users can post.
Martin
Former Director
Former Director

2023... Another Season....

Post by Martin »

Grumpy old Man here with some advice to the new (ish?) pilots in the area.

Maybe your a couple years into the sport and your just itching to get some air time? Just got signed off? Maybe getting back in? You might even have taken delivery of your next new super wing?

Your reading a bunch of stuff over on the Club "Watts Crap" page about all your manic compulsive mentors getting flights in the valley? A word of caution, ask your self are your ready for the season?

Lets keep in mind, many of the "regulars" are Eco-terrorists, they have been flying kerosene fueled jets all over the planet bagging big air and pretty much staying current and in touch with flying. Most can handle finicky conditions that require good judgment. Some of them are just old hands that have the skills to be safe (and some are just "old" ;-) ). The early season can make for some challenging air, you should weigh the risk and reward.

I know its tempting to just get out with the "gang" but nothing beats a nice cautious approach to break in a new season. If your a PG pilot, make sure you get in some quality kiting sessions. Hangs, dust off the pipes and setup the gear, try to at least do a little ground practice. Maybe a little assessment of your physical condition? Also, be prepared to stand down if perhaps your first trips out yield conditions that may catch you over your skill set.

We all know how great this flying "thing" can be, it would suck to start your season in a tree or heading to emerg for a cast?

So... start easy, be sure of your skills and judge the fickle weather of the early season with caution and you work your way into another manic compulsive season of airtime.

Fly safe!

Comrade Martin
Martin Zak

Re: 2023... Another Season....

Post by Martin Zak »

Wise words, Martin. With your permission, I'd like to put this post in the newsletter.

Thank you.
Martin
Former Director
Former Director

Post by Martin »

Absolutely.... see if you can get some of the other Watts-Crap team to wander over here and mentor up some words of wisdom? BTW, "Watts-Crap" is my term for the "vaporizing" threads of the Watts App activity.

A million years ago, I was all gah-gah and chasing every single moment of airtime. Sometimes in spring, its real easy to find ourselves at the deep end of the pool .

Fly Safe

Comrade Martin
kevinB

Post by kevinB »

Following... New P2 here. Only flown in Lumby for my P2 last year. Crashed shortly after getting my P2 and still recovering since August. But ready to fly again. Will head to Lumby first to get comfortable again. Aiming to write HAGAR soon too; completed all the studying and trial tests. I have a brand new wing that's never been out of the bag and all the requisite gear. I've never even met anyone in the Vancouver area but will come out on Feb 24th for the social.
I don't work anymore so any feasible flying day is an option. I'm also looking to learn from those who have mastered the skills and maybe are not constrained to weekend flying. Happy to exchange hair-raising travel stories in exchange for flying tips 😁👍
PGDegas

Post by PGDegas »

With Pleasure ,, I will share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o76QQtL-7KA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqVKtISuWpc

and 1 more just for fun ..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F-AxbNQpVY&t=2s

Thanks for the request Martin ;-)
Hope you enjoy the PG vids .. on You Tube "PGDegas"
Martin
Former Director
Former Director

Post by Martin »

Ah, since we are sharing video's......

I'm not qualified to pass on advice for paragliding but there is nothing stopping me from having an opinion!

I've been flying hang's for 50 years. Funny part is, I have also been dabbling in the occasional bit of paragliding for nearly 15+ years. Enough to be convinced that I'm going to be a forever "newbie" or perhaps a "perpetual student".

Like many students, newbies and up and coming pg pilots, there is often a point in progression where you may suddenly feel confident? I always like to share this little video of what happens when you combine some blind confidence in your flying skills (hey, I know what I'm doing!.... ?). Here is a little example of "too much glider", not enough true skill and what "getting into the deep end of the pool" before really knowing how to swim.....

https://vimeo.com/24926968

My advice to the fledgling PG pilots. Pick your wings wisely. Take time to advance with practice and respect for risk. Given the wonderful evolution of wings in the Paragliding world, there is absolutely no reason for a pilot with less than 500 hours or a pilot that logs less than 20-30 hours a year should be on anything more advanced than a "low" B.... or what ever we are calling a beginner or low intermediate wing. When your reach the point of being able to out scratch the local "experts" and stay out of the trees, hit your LZ every time and maybe had the crap scared out of you at couple SIV's.... only then move up to stuff the big boys (girls... and or?) fly.

Oh... and if your doing full stalls at an SIV, bring two reserves and a change of cloths.

Cheers
Comrade Martin
wazungy

Post by wazungy »

... for the hangies landing at the Duncan LZ early in the season...

The wind can be from a totally different direction than what you expect based on launch conditions.

There are power/phone lines along the south border of the LZ and several fences to consider.
The fences are barbed wire. Not fun to land on. Neither are the power lines.

Landing at the HG LZ in a north wind or cross wind can be very challenging.
It might be wise to have at least one good (big and visible) windsock and preferably two + at either ends of the LZ.

If I found myself in a situation where I seriously doubted my ability to land at an LZ under unfamiliar conditions I would land where I knew I could pull it off with better certainty.