Reserve Clinic and Repack - March 22

Wide open primary club forum. All users can read messages, but only registered forum users can post.
Claudia
Former Director
Former Director

Reserve Clinic and Repack - March 22

Post by Claudia »

Hi everybody, this is a heads-up that we are organizing a reserve deployment/repack clinic on Saturday March 22nd at the Kent Elementary School. Updates (and a call for volunteers to help with set-up, payment and membership forms, t-shirt sales etc) will be posted here soon.
Claudia
Former Director
Former Director

Post by Claudia »

Date for this years repack clinic is Saturday March 22nd, 9 AM - 2 PM at the Kent Elementary School at 7285 McCullough Road, Agassiz. If you want a repack please come well before 2PM as this is the time we have to wind things down and packing takes some time. We will be at the gym from 8:30 AM on but need time to set things up.

Please wear non-marking shoes (runners and trainings that have 'non-marking' stamped on the sole or clean street shoes). No alcohol or smoking allowed on school property.

Bring the owners manual for the reserves you want to repack.

We will have ropes to hang a simulator from, so reserve toss under ‘turbulent’ conditions can be practiced. There are also ladder bars in the gym which can be used to simulate tree rescue set up. We are still working on additional educational activities (possibly short seminar on reserve throws, quiz on right-of-way rules etc). See posts below for updates and more info.

We need some volunteers for helping out with set-up, payment and membership forms, t-shirt sales, deployment station etc. Please contact me if you can help.

Please also post here if you are planning to come to the repack clinic so we get an idea how many people will show up.

Fee for the repack is $40 (second reserve $30).

WCSC T-shirts from previous years will be available at reduced prices.
Last edited by Claudia on Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mags

repack

Post by mags »

Hi Claudia, i'll be there. I also have 2 reserves that i would like to re-pack.

See you next weekend,

Magali
Samuel

Post by Samuel »

Me, Shafi, Daniel, Pedro, Nikita are planning on attending.
Hang glider pilots with 1 parachute each
Claudia
Former Director
Former Director

Post by Claudia »

This year we would like to include some group discussions/instructional activities (and hopefully also a fun quiz).

Before coming to the clinic please have a look at the check list and sequence for reserve deployment below (sorry, totally PG biased - any HG advice?) When it is your turn to pull the reserve make sure an experienced pilot is observing so problems and malfunctions can be investigated and resolved.

Paddy has offered to facilitate an interactive discussion on ‘Tree Self-Rescue’ around 10 o’clock (exact time will be announced in the morning). Here is a good write-up of some options (there are different methods ... best to try and find out what works best for you)
http://www.alpenglow.org/paragliding/wr ... escue.html
(personally I would recommend a Munter or Double Munter hitch for rappelling).

Reserve Deployment Sequence

- Look at handle
- Grab handle
- Pull handle
Make sure to practice so you know in which direction to pull. Not working? Try pulling in a different direction.
- Look for clean air
- Throw deployment bag aggressively towards clean air (and let go of the handle!)
- Yank on reserve (parachute) bridle. If reserve doesn’t properly inflate yank again or pull it back and toss again.
- Check altitude. If low prepare yourself for landing (feet down, remember to stand up if reserve is front-mount and attached to the main carabiners), possibly parachute landing fall (PLF).
- If there is enough time/altitude disable the paraglider (brakes, Ds or B-stall, symmetrically). Continue to check altitude.

At Reserve Clinic

- Rehearse deployment sequence.
- Secure speed bar lines.
- Make sure an experienced pilot is observing deployment so malfunctions can be investigated. This person can also act as ‘turbulator’.
- After reserve throw debrief with observer.

Observer Checklist

- Did container come out easily?
- Was toss strong and in correct direction?
- Did reserve come out of deployment bag?
- Any problems with routing of bridle, sticky velcro, handle? Pull out bridle all the way to shoulder attachment and check each link in the chain.
- Check gear set up (any worn-out or sub standard connectors, links etc?)

PS: Use this information at your own discretion and risk.
Jim DeLaHunt
Former Director
Former Director

Post by Jim DeLaHunt »

Jim DLH will definitely be there, and Ducky Sherwood may also come. Both of us have PG reserves. If we are diligent we may buy pieces of a tree rescue kit, so that we try it out on Saturday.
— Jim DeLaHunt, Vancouver, B.C. Novice paraglider pilot.
Tyler G
Former Director
Former Director

Im in

Post by Tyler G »

See you there
Claudia
Former Director
Former Director

Post by Claudia »

Thanks to everybody for coming out to the reserve clinic on Saturday. Great turn-out and a good way to start the flying season! Even the weather co-operated... it was raining and the next day was looking like a good flying day 8)

A special thank-you goes to our tireless reserve packers Nicole, Mark T. and Robin and everybody else who helped with organizing, hands-on support, coaching (Alex, Jim, Paddy, Peter, Tom, Mark, Peyman, Pawel and many others … sorry if I forgot someone). Thanks for making this club event possible!
Tyler G
Former Director
Former Director

Post by Tyler G »

Thank you all...

It was really great to see how really awesome this community of people is. I am very thankful to have the opportunity to be apart of it.

Mark is the man!