Can Hang Gliding be saved?

Wide open primary club forum. All users can read messages, but only registered forum users can post.
pep
Club Director
Club Director

Re: Can Hang Gliding be saved?

Post by pep »

Nikolai wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:23 pm Salvation is there for those who believe. And for the rest of us, this thread is a hilarious read! Thanks guys! This stuff is almost publishable!!

Bill N.
Yep, I agree!!! keep believing...
Pedro Pedersen ( :hg )
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,
for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.”
Leonardo da Vinci
Ravenous

Post by Ravenous »

This is very entertaining. I love these old stories. Compared to most of you old hangies I'm a newbie, I've only been flying bags for 24 years.
But most of my flying for the past 19 years has been with hang gliders. Mostly older pilots, but a couple of exeptions, 2 guys in their 20's that are amazing pilots. Some of their stories are really cool. One where he didn't even get off the ground. Clipped into his hang glider at Chocrane on a really windy day, but no problem because strong wind launches are pretty routine for him. He's by himself. Except now there are no lulls to launch into. It's getting stronger and stronger and now he's f***.It turns into crazy strong wind! He can't launch and he can't unclip himself. There is a fence behind him and then Vincenes house, I think. This is going to be ugly. He waits in terror and then miraculously 2 pilots show up and assist him in unclipping and knocking the glider down. He tells the story way better than me,sorry.
And listening to the stories from the older guys, now into their 60's and even 70's is awesome. I am so fortunate to have these guys as friends.
Flying in the prairies with these guys is a real trip,too. I have learned so much from them. Towing stories are a whole other genre.
Sometimes I wonder why I haven't tried flying a hang glider, but I guess I'm just doing what I know. And it's kinda easy and convenient. And because I live in the mountains and good landing fields are few and far between, I think a paraglider makes sense for me. But if I lived in the prairies somewhere or maybe Golden, and I was learning to fly, hang gliding might be the way to go.
Oh, and Martin, my dog pissed on your wingtip on launch at Woodside back in about '97. I was afraid of you back then so I kept it a secret.
But now I think the statute of limitations will protect me, so there you go. I'm sorry.
silentflight

Post by silentflight »

Send him a bottle of scotch and all will be forgiven.